Sunday, October 19, 2008

Curses! Part Deux

In yesterday's post on politicians and their habits of lying or using expletives, I closed with the following:
I miss the days of plain ol' spin. Orwell himself would have blushed on behalf of our politicians of today.
But, reader Scott calls me a big lout and correctly points out:
...I have to disagree with the closing line. I don't think Orwell would blush at all, as Hughes' and Palin's behavior are completely consistent with what he described here: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm I doubt he'd find the behavior shocking in the least
So, my apologies to the great Orwell for mischaracterizing his views. (On the other hand, perhaps, to pay homage to his spirit, I should pretend that there is no inconsistency at all.) Nevertheless, my closing statement yesterday was striving for emphasis and effect. But, common English was insufficient to express my incredulity. I should've used the f-word instead and avoided criticism from smarty readers like Scott.

Freak! Faugh! Flak!

(for the record, all real words...look them up.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment